3/21/20

Should you disclose schizophrenia to others?


As you know, schizophrenia patients often receive discriminative remarks or behaviors, also in Japan. I predict many of them worry whether they should disclose their disease. I will tell you my solution to the problem.

You have right not to say everything.

Many people with mental disorders are serious, so they are sorry for not telling they are with such diseases. But don’t mind! You’re right to not to say everything. If you have secrets, you don’t have to tell them. If you can have good friends or future lovers, you have to think about it. Telling your disease is for particular people, you love ones.

When to tell your loved one your disease

I have a girlfriend. I disclosed my disease when we decided to start our relationship. Not only this case, I also did so to ex-girlfriends. This is good points for people with mental diseases. First, you don’t have to worry whether your loved ones notice your disease, which would be a big burden to socialize with them. Second, your loved one can care your body or mind, if necessary. Third, you can talk with loved one about your illness. The third point is so important, I think, because when you have problems about mind, you can share with them.

Why I recommend you disclose your disease first

Unfortunately, some people don’t like people with mental disorders. If you have a relationship with such people, it would have an unhappy future. But you can avoid the future by disclosing your disease. You can know he or she is worth trusting by sharing your disease. Unluckily, he or she rejects you, don’t mind! He or she is not just worth dating. You can have a chance to meet better people, I promise.


Disclosing your disease is sometimes hard or difficult, but it can be used to choose your suitable people. It is good, isn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment